Friday, October 13, 2006

Health care in the Philippines

I'm not an insurance agent, but I think that with the very high cost of health care (and devalued peso) in the Philippines, having a health card (other than Philhealth) is a must.
A few months ago, I was hospitalized because of a throat infection. I was admitted in DLSU-University Medical Center in Dasmarinas for three days, was IV-ed with drugs, fluids, etc and stayed on a private room. And tadah! The total bill was more than 25,000! Which is x00% of my take home pay! It's a good thing that I have a health insurance talaga. If not, nabaon na ako sa utang. At di pa lumulutang!
My card is courtesy of my employer. Most companies provide them for free. Kaya kung wala ka, bigyan mo sila ng idea, or threat maybe. For the self-employed mas OK kung kukuha ka tapos mag form kayo ng group para mas mura. Philhealth is crap because they only pay for a small fraction of your bill. Also, ikuha mo na rin yung mga family members para mas OK. Magastos magkasakit.
-----
May tatlong maliliit na buto sa tenga na nagtutulungan para makarinig tayo. Sila ang pinakamaliit na buto sa ating katawan.