Monday, December 14, 2009

The Temples, cont.

Day 1, Afternoon:

As I’ve mentioned in my previous post I was back in the temple complex again at about four o’clock, which was a bit late. I didn’t know that the temples that I would be visiting are far from their respective parking areas.

Banteay Kdei was the first. It is a temple with four walls, the outer is huge (700 by 500m) and its entrance alone indicates that it was created during the reign of Jayavarman 7th, with that huge face similar to those in Bayon. Inside, near the second wall is a platform with nagas. The back of the heads of each are intricately carved. I noticed that in this temple, the apsaras carved on the pillars were dancing like there’s a feast going on.

In front of the main exit is Srah Srang where I was mobbed by Khmer kids, selling postcards, books and souvenirs. I have already purchased a set of postcards for $1 near the terraces from a kid whom I asked for directions, so I ignored them and proceeded to the terrace of Srah Srang. Srah Srang is a royal bath, a large royal bath! It almost equals the size of Banteay Kdei! There were two men there in happy mode, smoking marijuana.

Next was Ta Prohm, made famous by Angelina. It has five walls and is unrestored with trees growing on the walls of the temple. Stupidly, my driver dropped me at the wrong end, again. I was the only one going against the flow of the visitors! The wooden trail made of wood was very helpful as there was water everywhere due to the rain earlier that afternoon. Of course I didn’t forget to have a “tomb raider” photo op.

By six o’clock we’re heading back to the town again.