Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Commuting

This I wouldn't miss now that I am no longer working in the University.

For nine months since July last year until the end of classes, I have been commuting to and from work for more than an hour each way, daily! I would wake up earlier than usual, because I have to have an allowance of more than an hour so I wouldn't be late for my class.

I used to ride "Lexus Shuttle Van." It's an Asian-type van commuter van which seats from 14 up to 16 persons per trip. This type of transpo became available only recently here in Palawan. I can remember that when I was in High School, we used to ride the old Charing Bus Line or the other antique bus of Palawan, Puerto Royale Express. These were the originals of Palawan's highways.

These shuttle vans are now the main mode of transportation here in Puerto Princesa and Palawan. These are the same type of vans used by tour operators for Puerto-El Nido route, Puerto-Sabang, etc. Although tours are of course offered by the tour companies here.



Of course, the time when these vehicles are available are not fixed. I remember one time that I had to sleep in a lodging house in Aborlan because I missed the last trip by a few minutes. And that was just around 6:30PM! But their first trip could be too early too, around 4:00AM specially those who are en route to far municipalities such as Brooke's Point. But take note that if you miss the first trip, the second trip might not leave until it's full which may mean waiting for an hour or two!

They have reservation numbers (cellular) on each point but these are not reliable. I remember one time I had to wait for more than two hours just to realize that my reservation by phone is not seriously taken.

Oh! And there's no queue on some main pickup points such as that in Aborlan Public Market. You have to assert and push yourself in to have a seat. This is frustrating specially during times when there are many commuters such as during enrollment, Mondays and Fridays!

But I must point out that riding these vans are generally quicker than taking ordinary bus. Going to Aborlan just takes an hour and fifteen minutes on a van but takes two hours on ordinary bus. The bus has more stops and picks up everything, everyone.

The terminals in Puerto Princesa is in San Jose Public Market. Each company has its own.