Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Some Mumblings On My Summer Trip to Thailand and Laos

  • I left Puerto Princesa via an AirPhil Express flight. The plane was full and the terminal overflowing.
  • I had a meal in NAIA Terminal 3 then went out to the taxi bay. Oh, and I got lost! Gone is the shuttle bus to the MRT Station. I boarded a bus that goes around the NAIA Terminals and went to the old domestic terminal which now has a new name, NAIA Terminal 4. From there I took a taxi to Victory Bus Terminal in Pasay. 
  • I hopped on a bus going to Baguio, destination Dau. Dang! It was too cold. What is it about Victory buses that they need to blast freeze passengers?
  • Dau Bus Terminal is too busy and grungy.
  • After sleep and bath on a hotel in Dau. I sent home some clothes via LBC and proceeded to Clark.
  • Clark DMIA is far, and a lonely soul-less terminal.
  • Flight to Bangkok is via Tiger Air. Cheap, but I won't do it again.
  • Suvarnabhumi Airport is ginormous! It's a long walk from the tube to the train. 
  • Train from the airport is not cheap. If you travel as a group, take a cab.
  • Hotel is not as bad. Online reviews can be deceiving.
  • Bangkok is a clean city. Traffic is not as bad as there are alternate routes.
  • It was my first long train ride. The overnight train to Nong Khai is not for those who are sensitive to motion sickness. Better if you overdose on Bonamine before your trip.
  • Food in Laos PDR is better than the food in Thailand. I didn't like most of the food in Thailand, except for "sticky rice with mango".
  • The entire trip, we didn't encounter Manila-like traffic jam. Even when were transiting from the hotel to the convention venue daily. We're commuting a distance similar to Makati-Laguna in 30 minutes only.