Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Residence on Thonglor

This is a last minute Agoda booking which I booked when I am already in the arrival hall of Don Muang International Airport in Bangkok! This is the last leg of my vacation and business trip this July 2016. My flight is Air Asia Thailand from Ho Chi Minh and I just wrote the address of my usual hotel in Bangkok. The immigration officer didn't seem to mind. There's free WiFi in the arrival area so confirmed and paid my booking there.

From the airport, I took a bus to the weekend market, Chatuchak. One of my purposes is your buy some things there. I also had my lunch there. After draining myself with the humidity and heat in the crowded alleys, I hailed a taxi to the hotel. Of course, just like in Manila, Bangkok taxi drivers are also choosy or don't want to use meter, but eventually I found one.

Being a Sunday, it was just a short ride away. Upon arrival, with my luggage and boxes, I was helped by the guard and a bellboy. The lobby is on the second floor but it's not really a problem. Check in was easy and fast as my payment is with Agoda already.

My room was on the 7th floor and the room was overlooking a big private hospital. I was surprised because it was so big. Only then that I realized that I booked a serviced apartment-like hotel.

I was so impressed by the room. The bed is nice and comfortable. Lots of power outlets are available near the desk and the bed. Lots of them really! The full sized refrigerator was useful but when travelling I only use it for beverages. One day I was able to buy microwave pizza for breakfast. That's it! Oh, a microwave is also available. In fact, it is a full kitchen as there's also a convection stove and a kitchen sink and all the kitchen utensils that you'll have at home.

The front-loading washing machine was most useful as I have exhausted all the clothes that I brought, I just had to buy the detergent and fabric softener in the convenience store across the street.

The only problem I had with this accommodation is its distance from the MRT. Yes, they provide free shuttle to and from the MRT station but the timing is off. No problem really if you're always taking a taxi, but on my case, I have to go to IMPACT for the convention every day so I really have to take the MRT to save on fare because it's that far! Even with MRT it takes me around 45 minutes in the morning and longer in the evening to commute. Several times I had to hop on a motorcycle for 20THB to go back to the hotel from the station. Bus is also an option but I think it's not available late at night. Bus is below 10THB according to the shuttle car driver.

Of course the hotel has more to offer, these features I enjoyed so much. On the roof top, there's an infinity pool. It's so relaxing to swim there in the morning and at night. The view is superb! There's also a gym there and an onsen. Really cool! Most hotels do not have these.

The room also has a little balcony provided with a chair and small table. I used the enclosed part for drying my clothes!

If ever I will be in Bangkok again, I would use this hotel! Highly recommended.  Total cost for 4 nights of my stay was just a little over 7000PHP. I don't know how much Agoda's discount to me was.