Sunday, July 30, 2017

Tom's Homestay in Bogor, Indonesia

This review is for a trip I did a long time ago, 2013 to be exact. It was a month or so after typhoon Yolanda hits Southern Philippines. I remember it that way because in the conference that I attended, I was the only Filipino. Most cancelled because of the typhoon and it's effects to the Philippines in general. In my case I had to go ahead since all of my flight are already paid, and the hefty registration fee I paid way, way in advance so I can avail of discounted rates.

The flight from Manila is Cebu Pacific since they provide the best connection from my province. The flight arrives midnight and I had to transfer to another terminal for the domestic flight. Of course I was scammed, and this is memorable to me, since the scammer speaks perfect Tagalog. This is in Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta Airport.

He sweet talked me into taking his cab which later on I realized was a private car to the other terminal. Oh, later on I learned that bus transfer is free and there are also metered taxis there.

The first segment of my trip is a side trip to Yogyakarta to see the temples. From the airport to Magelang I had to take a bus, a small bus. Magelang is the town where Borobudur is located. Borobudur is more like a barrio because it's far from the town proper and you have to go through an access road to go there. I took a taxi going back to Borobodur to find my hostel. The hostel is pretty basic but it is very near the temple complex.

Excuse me if I forgot the name of the hostel. Whatever it does not have is redeemed by their personnel who also act as guide for motorcycle tours. I did one and we went around the community. I vividly recall the tabu factory and the small streets there. I also joined a tour for sunrise viewing on a hill overlooking Borobudur.