Sunday, September 11, 2016

My First Airbnb, in Taipei

This is a business trip, the purpose of which is to attend a convention in Taipei, November 2015.

Cebu Pacific provides the best connection as we are coming from the province, so we arrived very late. I was travelling with my Mom this time and we're both Taipei first timers.

We took the bus from the airport, it took more than 30 minutes I think to our bus stop which is in front of Ambassador Hotel. The Airbnb is only a few meters away from the stop! So we really did not have much problem with our luggage. The problem that we had is, I didn't know how to call or doorbell the unit! I really didn't know how to use their system. The building is composed of several apartments on the upper floors while the ground floor is occupied by offices. We were stranded for a few minutes in the lobby, there is no front desk, no guard. Good thing a seemingly drunk resident is going up! We asked and he paged the owner. She said something Chinese in the intercom, of course I didn't understand but it's something like we should proceed upstairs, as interpreted by the man we asked. It's a private building that's why we're hesitant to go up without asking permission from  someone and besides, I don't know what floor in is. It's not in the directions provided to us.

So we went in, the owner who also stays on the unit, welcomed us. She gave us key card for the doors and gave a brief orientation. One thing I specially liked on this unit is that it's spotlessly clean. Immaculate, almost like OC-clean, as in its even cleaner than most hotels I have been to.

The room has a big bed and has a window facing the small, one way street below. In most hotels, having a room that faces a street can be noisy but this one has good sound proofing. Sleep was not a problem. The room has in-ceiling cooling system that's very easy to control. There are multiple power outlets too so charging our gadgets is not a problem.

A kitchen is also available but we did not use it.

The cons:
1. Lavatory is too far from our room. It's a common bath shared by two other Airbnb rooms in their unit. It's near the other two but far from us. Difficult for my senior citizen mom who needs to empty her bladder at night. The lavatory itself has no problem. The toilet seat is very high tech like that you see in Japan. It's very clean too just like the rest of the house. Oh, we asked to transfer to another room but we're not allowed because it was booked, she said.
2. Cannot leave baggage with them. On our last day, we asked the owner if we can leave our luggage after checkout. No. It sounds too indifferent to me but I can't blame her language skills. Her English is too limited as most of the older Taiwanese. The result, we had to go to the airport earlier to spend the rest of our time in Taipei. More than 8 hours wasted I think.

While there, my favorite is the breakfast. I go to the building in front of Ambassador Hotel and buy food. It's usually rice wrapped in pork and mixed vegetables. Its pork is crispy and there's also some pulled pork in there. Super delicious! Drinks is warm soya milk, which is flavoured sometimes. I forgot what they're called but they're so good and filling.

At night, well it's typical Taipei, there are a lot of food options around. One night we had noodle soup, another we had grilled sweet corn. Cakes and breads are good too, as well as fruits. Oh my God, big atis, sweet citrus etc and they're very fresh.

Would I use this again? Maybe. It's cheaper than hotels in central Taipei. Subway is very near. It's very clean and secure.