Friday, September 9, 2016

US Non-immigrant Visa Application: My Experience, Perspective and Tips

Funny how getting a US Visa is such a big deal here in the Philippines. I applied because I am planning on attending a few days of job related training in Florida. A friend who has just got her 10 year multiple entry visa encouraged me to lodge my application immediately because she has doubts about the impending Trump presidency.

DS160

This is the first step. Filling up the form is straight forward. I saw a video in YouTube that says it's better if you'll save on each step so that information would not be lost once the form expires after several minutes.
The former asks for the details of much of your life, so if you're like me who has memory problems, it's better if you'll collect all your documents first as reference: passports, birth certificate, school records, among others.

It's important that you enter accurate information in DS 160. Remember that the US Government has the resources and the technology to verify and crosscheck your data.

I filled this form twice. In the first one I made a mistake which I only realized after signing it electronically. It's about my income, that I'm not supposed to declare there because I'm not employed. Those employed are required to declare their salary. The other one is my previous employment which I'm not supposed to write there because it has been more than 5 years since I was last employed. So I had two DS 160 but I only used the last one I filled.

I paid the fee online through my BPI Expressonline account. I made an account in the online appointment website (ustraveldocs.com/ph). A payment code was given to me, I used it in the online payment form of BPI. That code enables them to verify the payment, of it was done.

Next was the appointment. I did mine online in the same website. I selected the earliest available slot at that time which is September 29, on impulse! Looking back, I think I should not have locked it on the first try because after a day, I found an earlier available date. So I changed it to September 1, but, after another day, there are even earlier available slots. Which was a bummer because it can only be changed again if another payment is made. Oh, and the fee isn't cheap!

After the appointment was made, I went to my bank for the certificate of my accounts. From most forums and blogs I read, and from my friend, they say it's better to have the supporting documents available when asked during the interview. I also went to NBI for the certificate that says I don't have cases filed against me. From my office files, I asked my secretary to retrieve business permits from the city, DTI and BIR. My birth certificate and the marriage certificate of my parents are already available in my personal files, since these were used when we applied for Taiwan Visa.

Next was booking my hotel and the flight. The interview is in US Embassy Manila and I had to be there 10AM so I have to sleep in Manila for a night. I chose Bayview Hotel because of it's proximity to the embassy. In Google Maps it is in front of the gate of the embassy.

The Interview

The flight to Manila was uneventful, except for the booking mistake that I made that I had to fly with AirAsia-Zest which I dread. I went with one staff because we did some purchasing stuff the day we arrived, August 31. It was a really tiring day, my body doesn't really want the atmosphere in Manila!

September 1, the day of the interview. As usual, I woke up too early. I'm carrying a bag for my files and I was at the embassy 9:45AM. Those scheduled 10AM were called so I approached the queue. A greeter was there to screen and put a barcode sticker in the passport. My turn came, I showed the appointment confirmation email. AND IT CLEARLY SHOWED 945AM SEPTEMBER 29! The horror! So I walked away feeling so dumb! I walked back to the hotel, resigned to the fact that I'may going home empty handed.

I left my gadgets with my staff in the hotel room. Upon arriving,  I checked my email, searched for the thread about the appointment and, voila! My appointment really is TODAY! (Only then I did realize that I printed the wrong appointment confirmation, dumbo!)

So, half running, er, it's more on sprinting, I made my way back to the entrance, queued again, and this time I didn't have a printed appointment confirmation. I approached the greeter again and told her that I don't have a printout, but if she asks, I'll show the email on my phone. Argh, electronics are not allowed inside the embassy so I handed my phone to my staff after they found my sticker for my passport. I went inside the security inspection area where I was frisked like an airline passenger and my bag was scanned by an x-ray. So, my appointment really is today. At this stage, I'm sweating like a horse already, like I'm so nervous but really it was due to my sprint.

Next was a short queue for verification. I was asked to state my name and birthday. It was followed by a queue for digital fingerprinting. In all these, there are minders to point where the next queue is. The third, which took some time, is the queue for the actual interview. I guess this is a new system for them because it's not what is described in most blogs and forums, even in Pinoy Exchange. There's a separate, faster queue for the elderly, those with children and the disabled.

After fingerprinting, I decided to refresh at the lavatory. I was really drenched in sweat at this point. You know, the after workout sweat type. After a restful several minutes there I went out and joined the queue again for the face to face with the consul.

The man before me was not granted a visa. I was half listening on their conversation and I noticed that he sounds rehearsed and his answers are always long. He is also going to attend a training in the US. He was asked so many questions about his work.

My turn came. I pushed my passport in on the opening. During the interview, of course I can't smile. My feet are aching. I'm literally drained. No documents were asked, even my old passports, even the invitation.

Questions
What's the purpose of the trip?
What is it about?
How long?
What's your profession/business?
How long?
What much do you earn?

At the end of the interview, I was told that my passport will be returned after 3 days and that my visa is granted.

So what are my thoughts on these?

1. I think each application is pre-approved or denied even before the interview.
2. I think the consul is not really typing anything there. I don't know.
3. The entire embassy appearance and interview can be finished in an hour.
4. It's better to go there with a companion even if he has your wait outside.
5. The interview is more of just a formality, I may be wrong.
6. Staying in Bayview Hotel is not the best option. The gate for the interview is near the pedestrian overpass which is far from the hotel. Citystate Hotel may be nearer, but I may not be accurate.
7. Always travel with gadget charger, I forgot to bring mine and my companion is not using android so I can't borrow. Bayview Hotel does not lend charger. I asked front desk staff and they don't care. They're not eager to help at all, like I'm not a "guest". Oh and their electrical outlets are limited, inside the room. Yeah, the hotel is that old. Yay, even their towels are ancient.
8. Always double check. Remember Murphy's Law is a law.
9. Uber is not as good as Grab in Manila. In Naia 3, the Uber driver texted me that he is EXCLUSIVE FOR OFWs. That MORON!
10. Read all blogs, online fora or forums that you can. It will help you prepare. There are also resources on YouTube.
11. And, last tip for the visa interview and in application: the emphasis should be on establishing "deep-rootedness" in the Philippines on all aspects of life. It is not about your trip or about your money.

I received my passport yesterday, the visa is good until 2026.